2023 construction planning for your confined feeding operation


Source: Natural Resources Conservation Board

The start of a new year is a great time to look ahead. If you’re planning to build new or expand existing facilities at your confined feeding operation be sure to check with a Natural Resources Conservation Board (NRCB) approval officer before you begin, to find out whether you need a permit.

Do you need a permit to build?

Unauthorized construction at a confined feeding operation is a serious offence under the Agricultural Operation Practices Act (AOPA). The Act requires operators to obtain a permit before constructing or expanding a manure storage facility or manure collection area at a confined feeding operation. This includes any facility that collects or stores manure, such as barns, liquid manure storage (lagoons), livestock pens, runoff control structures (catch basins), etc. If in doubt, call the NRCB to speak with an approval officer.

Operators who construct or expand a facility without the appropriate permit may be required to depopulate or dismantle the facility and may face prosecution. If you need a permit for your construction project, get your application in as soon as possible. This will help to minimize any delays so you can be ready when the next construction season begins.

Post-construction inspection

After completing permitted construction and before placing livestock or manure in the facility, the permit holder is required to contact the NRCB to schedule and carry out a post-construction inspection. The inspection will assess whether the facility was built according to the terms and conditions of the AOPA permit. If the facility meets these terms and conditions the NRCB will issue a letter allowing use of the facility.

For more information, please contact an approval officer or inspector at the NRCB regional office nearest you, email info@nrcb.ca, or check the NRCB website at www.nrcb.ca


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here